Critical thinking is considered as an outcome of top priority for higher education –abilities of critical reasoning are very significant for the skills of reasoning and dealing with the issue within the frames of professional sphere and personal area of learners. However, who it is known as a person who is able to think critically and in which way we can encourage and evaluate it when dealing with students? Skills of critical thinking may be explained as an ability to analyze an issue by dividing it into parts and evaluating in a brief form, while offering arguments to back up the analysis. Here are some recommendations targeted at promoting critical reasoning in learners. Of course, the given recommendations are not compulsory to follow but they may become really helpful when having a deal with a set of various critical reasoning tasks and assignments. All you have to do is to read all of them carefully without being distracted by any trivia. Well, it is high time to start our familiarization with the information mentioned below.
Thinking by means of inquiry
When one asks some questions and makes use of answers to comprehend society, it is what causes critical thinking process. In an instruction, which is based on inquiry, instructors ask students elaborative questions to receive some predictions, suggestions, or inferences regarding a particular topic. Start thinking about offering guidelines to all students to promote their skills of asking the similar questions. In case we would like students to form good questions by themselves, it is needed to teach them in which way to perform this task by means of giving them critical thinking paper examples, both in written form, or with the help of our usage of questions during the class.
Ability to think critically by means of writing
One more important constituent of critical reasoning requirements lies in the process of writing. This procedure turns students into active learners and demands to define issues and form arguments. An act of writing makes students to center on and make clarifications regarding their ideas and thoughts before placing them on a sheet of paper. Writing makes students take essential decisions, asking themselves:
- What info is considered as the most essential?
- What can I tell about the given topic?
- Exactly how did I reach my thoughts?
- In which way may I work on observations, data, findings, facts, etc., in order to persuade other people of the thing I think?
- Just what cannot I realize so far?
Try to provide the above-mentioned questions to let students estimate their skills of writing. Some recommendations and steps of critical thinking written assignments consist of:
- Provide learners with row facts and give them an assignment to compose analysis or arguments with the foundation on factual data.
- Make students examine and compose the topic regarding opinions or “what if” events.
- Choose significant articles in the sphere and provide students with a task to compose abstracts or overviews. In addition, it is possible to ask learners to compose an abstract of the lecture. In this way, students will process all information sizes better.
- Create a scenario that puts learners in real-life situations strongly related to the subject, where they should make a decision in order to tackle the problem. At the same time, you can provide them with a list of critical thinking topics to discuss in the class.
Assessing critical thinking abilities
It is also possible to apply responses of students, which encourage critical thinking, to know for sure whether they can reach your aims of critical thinking. One can say that it is significant to set understandable criteria to estimate the level of critical thinking. Here are characteristic features of work that can shoe efficient critical thinking:
- Carefully and assiduously interprets questions, concerns, elements of literature, etc.
- Asks related questions.
- Estimates and makes an analysis of major information and opposite opinions briefly and clearly.
- Makes an examination of opinions and presumptions, and compare them with factual data.
When your students ask you to render them critical thinking help, try not to reject their requests because, in this way, they are trying to cooperate with you. Do not forget that cooperation is always a good thing, which leads to nice results. So, if one or several students decide to ask you for assistance, you may help them individually or in groups. See, it is all very simple. Although do not forget that you have to cooperate and not to complete the assignment for your learners. Sometimes, the given edge may be very vague but a teacher or instructor’s task is to make this edge clear enough for both students and themselves; it is being done with the aim to get rid of any misunderstanding between two parties. Check out https://pro-papers.com/write-critical-thinking for more helpful info on critical thinking writing.
So, we wish you good luck on your way of educating students!